Facts and Figures of Ticket Sales
- In 2003 the total value of advance ticket sales in the UK was approximately
£1.4 billion. Of this, around £580 million were sales made through primary
- The amount of business going through primary ticket agents has increased
substantially in recent years. Estimations are that between 1999 and 2003
turnover grew by around 150 per cent in real terms.
- The largest concert promoter in the UK is Clear Channel Entertainment UK
(Clear Channel) In 2003 Clear Channel had a turnover from rock/pop
concerts of approximately £64 million and a total turnover from promotion
of all events of nearly £160 million. Clear Channel has a parent company in
the USA which also owns concert promoters in other European countries. In
the UK, Clear Channel also owns or manages a number of concert venues
and owns five regional theatres, which are used both for its own and other
- Other UK promoters/producers include SJM, Metropolis Music, the Mean
Fiddler Group, Marshall Arts, Kennedy Street Enterprises and Cameron
Mackintosh. Several of these companies use our ticket printing services.
- A consumer survey found that 63 per cent of consumers bought their last
ticket from a box office and only 37 per cent through a web agent. It should
also be in the interests of promoters and producers to make available a
sufficient allocation of tickets to venues.